Genetic renegades: the B chromosomes of D. melanogaster
The Hanlon Lab studies how chromosomes move, form, and evolve. Our model system is the newly discovered B chromosomes in the fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster. B chromosomes are extra, nonessential chromosomes that have been found in hundreds of different plant and animal species and can promote their own segregation, sometimes to the detriment of their host. The Hanlon Lab applies a multitude of cellular, molecular, and genetic tools available in D. melanogaster to understand how B chromosomes rendezvous and segregate during cell division. We also investigate the intrinsic biology of these young B chromosomes, including their effects on life history traits, the frequency of their formation, and the flux of their heterochromatic repeat and transposable element composition over time.
- A ‘B’ig welcome our final Fall rotons, Heather and Josette!The Hanlon Lab welcomes MCB predoctoral graduate students Heather and Josette for their last fall rotation! We hope you love the Bs as much as we do!Posted on December 1, 2021
- Great ‘B’-sentation by Paulo at the UConn Fall Frontiers ExhibitionHere’s Paulo Belato, ready to share his research as a McNair Scholar at the 2021 Fall Frontiers in Undergraduate Research exhibition. Way to go, Paulo!Posted on October 20, 2021
- Mengjia (Michelle) Lin begins her rotation in the Hanlon Lab – just in time for Halloween!Mengjia (Michelle) Lin is spending the second rotation cycle in the Hanlon Lab! Her project will be to examine how the B chromosomes segregate during a live female meiosis. Welcome to the lab Michelle, and we hope you have a ‘ghoul’ rotation during this spooky season!Posted on October 11, 2021
- Welcome to our first roton of the 2021-22 school year: Ruiyi Sun!Ruiyi Sun will be spending six glorious weeks in the Hanlon Lab as part of the fall 2021 rotation cycle within the MCB Graduate Program. Welcome Ruiyi, and we hope you enjoy your time in the lab!Posted on August 30, 2021
- Welcome, Ayushi and Ryan!The Hanlon Lab is proud to welcome undergrads Ayushi Patel and Ryan Gado to the ‘B’ Team! We are excited to have you in the lab and look forward to a fantastic fall!Posted on August 30, 2021